We at J Wippell & Company Limited are conscious of our social responsibilities with regards to helping the environment through our working practices. Our objective is not only to sustain our environment for our descendants but also to rehabilitate the damage previously done. We believe that our corporate responsibility goes beyond our proprietary borders and therefore every effort will be made to conserve resources throughout our operations.
J Wippell & Company Limited will try to not only meet existing environmental laws and regulation, but will endeavour to go beyond the status quo and see techniques and approaches that position us ahead of our competition.
Following are our specific ideals:
Awareness and Commitment
Our policy towards the environment will be readily available and promoted to our clients. We will endeavour to ensure staff and clients are familiar with and implement our environmental commitment and objectives.
- The Company environmental policy will be available to view on our website.
- The Company environmental will be present in the employee handbook.
J Wippell & Company Limited will endeavour to reduce the impact on the environment where ever possible with respect to transport.
- Seek and employ local products and services to reduce transport costs.
- The Company will avoid unnecessary travel, and will use energy efficient vehicles and driving styles wherever possible.
- Encourage the use of public transport, cycle or foot.
Energy & Water Consumption
J Wippell & Company Limited accepts a share of the UK's commitment to a reduction in carbon dioxide emissions both by attaining greater efficiency in total energy consumption and by continuing to examine the possibility of acquiring electricity from 'green' sources when finances permit.
- The Company will make every effort to use water efficiently and avoid pollutants entering the drainage system.
- The Company will use energy efficient products where ever practical, and monitor usage to achieve minimum energy consumption.
Waste Generation and Management
J Wippell & Company Limited will try to minimize the production of waste and pollution; including unnecessary packaging. The Company will implement measures to reduce the volume of waste generated and to increase the proportion of that waste which is recycled.
- The Company will look to compost organic waste.
- The Company has implemented recycle bins for glass, paper, plastic, and cans/tins.
Materials and Resources
J Wippell & Company Limited will try to minimize environmental impact with regard to sourcing materials and resources.
- The Company will avoid using materials which have an undesirable effect on the environment, and wherever possible use locally made goods.
- The Company will try to use contractors who also share a commitment to the environment, and take into account lifetime costs of materials when repairing, altering or rebuilding premises.
- The Company will maximize use of electronic communication and information storage as an alternative to paper.
Plastics (including single use)
The company endeavour to avoid the use of any plastic throughout it’s manufacturing and supply of goods particularly single use plastics.
- No single use plastic is used for transporting, storage or cleaning of robes. Purchased items are supplied in cardboard boxes and include a re-usable clothing cover
- We will paper bags for any gown hire services when the current stock of plastics bags is exhausted.
- All resource and garments are transported in re-usable cardboard boxes and these are recycled at the end of life
- For suppliers we endeavour to ensure that plastic alternatives are used for packaging wherever possible and positively engage with suppliers to this end
- Any plastic packaging received is recycled as part of the company’s active recycling scheme
The company endeavour to use high quality fabrics to increase longevity and will repair or recycle whenever possible
- Garments are repaired when possible
- Garments are well maintained to assist longevity
- Off cuts are saved and provide to local initiatives and groups
- End of life garments are recycled where possible
J Wippell & Company Limited will help to protect and enhance natural habitats and wildlife, take appropriate opportunities to enhance them and be sensitive to landscape issues. The company will also look to minimize impact on local wildlife, and to look for opportunities to work with the local community in caring for the local environment. The Company will endeavour to be aware of local planning developments and take appropriate action where these are potentially damaging to the environment.
Communication and Training
J Wippell & Company Limited will educate, train and motivate all staff to carry out tasks in an environmentally responsible manner. Department managers will be responsible for communication and training regarding task specific responsibilities and senior management will ensure all staff are aware of the company’s policies and steps to reduce its impact on the environment.
Staff will have open access to the policy and procedures via the internal memo system and company manual. Changes to procedures will be provided in on site team meetings and updated copies provided via the internal memo system and company manual.
Training needs will be assessed annually and in line with all legal requirements. All staffs training needs will be assessed with updated training undertaken both in house and where appropriate by professional organisations.
Incidents and Complaints
Concerns or complaints over the company's conduct regarding its environmental performance should be raised immediately with the Health and Safety Officer Phillip Jenkyns. All concerns and complaints should be logged.
Concerns and complaints should be escalated to the senior management team and assessed by priority.
The log files should be reviewed annually as part of the management review and necessary action taken and policies and procedures updated and communicated to staff.
The Health and Safety committee, on behalf of the company, will undertake quarterly reviews of the suitability and effectiveness of the environmental policy and procedures and undertake improvement action where necessary.
The company is committed to continual improvement of environmental performance. This policy will be communicated to all stakeholders and made available to interested parties.